In February 2017 Whittens was awarded a $14.5M contract by Zenviron to construct the WTG Foundations for the Sapphire Wind Farm Project, NSW’s largest wind farm. The scope of work comprised of the placement of circa 45,000m3 of structural concrete into seventy-five (75) WTG Foundations, with each foundation comprising of circa 600m3 concrete and circa 60T reinforcement.
The Sapphire Wind Farm civil concrete construction scope of works included:
- Placement of ~45,000m3 of structural concrete into seventy-five (75) Wind Turbine Generators (WTG) Foundations for NSW’ largest Wind farm.
- 600m3 concrete and circa 60T reinforcement per foundation.
- Approximately 4,450 tons of steel reinforcement was used, with 300 quarter anchor bolts assembled onsite comprising 16,800 bolts
Key outcomes included:
- Approximately 4,450 tons of steel reinforcement was used, with 300 quarter anchor bolts assembled onsite comprising 16,800 bolts.
- The biggest challenge was inclement weather conditions, with pouring of large monolithic structures conducted in cold winter temperatures. However we delivered the project on time and on budget with the last foundation poured at the end of October.