Whittens was engaged by BHP to construct a buttress at BHP’s Mt Whaleback TSF 1 North Westembankment. The works required clearing, preparation of surface level and the construction of the buttress.
The scope of works included:
- Complete a bulk load and haul of waste material instilling support for tails dam wall downstream
- Place material in-situ to form Buttress
- Compacted in 1 metre lifts to achieve a dry density of minimum 2.3 t/m3 per lift
- Loaded, hauled, placed and compacted (110,000 tonnes)
- Completed and complied with BHP and Government body’s QA & QC.