As part of BHP’s Dust Sealing Project to suppress the level of dust emission within the Iron Ore Facility in Nelson Point, Whittens was awarded this contract. The dust emission was achieved by the formalisation of unsealed surfaces into sealed areas with road formation. The works were executed in a brownfields environment.
Whittens scope on the Nelson Point Dust Sealing project included bulk earthworks construction of the subgrade and basecourse formations. The top surface was sealed with an asphalt pavement for trafficable 50t forklifts. The pavement covered 40,000 m2.
Scope of works included:
- Clearing and demolition of existing infrastructure
- Excavating and haulage of existing material
- Bulk earthworks construction of the subgrade and basecourse formations
- The top surface was sealed with an asphalt pavement for trafficable 50T forklifts
- The pavement covered 40,000m2.